[Harp-L] impressions of SPAH 2007

Just back from my first SPAH and I have a few somewhat disjointed impressions I'd like to share...

There was some amazing music coming from the main stage. Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch all the shows, but the unexpected highlights for me (unexpected on account of my own ignorance) were James Conway and Brendon Power. Randy Singer did a great show (I expected as much) and the others I saw did not disappoint. Pablo Fagundes (with Ted Falcon) was absolutely incredible!!!

Being an unknown nobody with only a handful of recordings to demonstrate my talent, I don't know why I was allowed to perform solo on the main stage at my first SPAH, but I'm very thankful to have had the opportunity. It was BIG fun and I know a bunch of folks dug it so I have no regrets. I was also floored to be asked at the last minute to share the stage with Tom Stryker, Bob Herndon, Ron Kalina, Jim Lohman, and Charles Spranklin for the Jazz Showcase -- what an honor!

I'm amazed at the hospitality afforded me by practically everyone I bumped into. Seems like I have many, many new friends from several different generations and musical backgrounds. This seems to be one of the greatest aspects of SPAH, that is is OK to have nothing in common other than music and the harmonica.

But having said that, I was a bit surprised at the lack of cultural diversity -- this was an extremely white crowd considering the role of blues and jazz in the music played by so many in attendance, not to mention the proximity to Chicago. Had it not been for the presence of the young, personable, and incredibly talented Julian Davis, I would have thought I was on the wrong planet or something... (If you didn't get a chance to hear Julian play, I'm sure you will eventually -- this kid has got it!)

I've never been to any other harmonica conventions or festivals, but I was delighted by the level of interaction and the many choices at any given time to participate in various jams and seminars. For instance, if you wanted to play in both the blues and jazz jams all you had to do was stick around for more than one day and you could have your fill of both.

The impromptu jazz standards jams with Phil Caltabellotta, Smokey Joe Leone, Randy Singer, Charles Spranklin, Pete Blasberg, Jim Lohman, Ron Kalina, Tom Stryker (and all the rest that I'm forgetting at the moment) were priceless.

I attended a Stan Harper seminar and all I can say is that this too was priceless.

Randy Singer did a great job coordinating the evening jazz jams and Ron Kalina and the band were excellent (and patient). The Friday night jam was absolutely amazing, and I know I'm not the only one who thought so. It didn't hurt that Howard Levy was in the house (and to my ears, reaching new heights), but everyone else was playing up a storm as well.

The hallway jams with Jimi Lee were too much fun. Jimi's choice of material was great, as were his vocals, and his rack harmonica always refreshing -- and what stamina on the guitar!

The Joe Filisko Teach-In sessions (I finally got around to attending for a bit on Saturday) were very cool. What a great concept -- and what an amazing line up of teachers!

I know that Tom Stryker, Paul Davies, and others worked very hard to make all of this happen -- I thank you.

For me, Saturday night's blues jam was a beautiful ending to the week -- it felt really honest and good and I thank y'all for letting me be a part of it.

Needless to say, I will be back....

- Slim.

--
www.SlideManSlim.com