[Harp-L] why I carry a harp with me at all times

I was covering the Parkersburg Homecoming  today for the newspaper. I was interviewing Johnny Staats (the only UPS driver to play the Grand Ol' Opry five times) and he asked me if I had any harmonicas with me and asked me to come onstage with him to play this song I wrote for the Ohio State Harmonica Championship which was a few weeks ago (It's "Pinch Quick Road" www.myspace.com/davidpaynesr). I had my C Seydel 1847 in one of those Seydel beltbags on my belt, like I always carry. I went up on stage and played the piece, only had time for one since I had to interview Kelly Pickler right after that. I had a blast. The song is really fast and takes a lot of wind, even on the Forty Seven. Johnny kept saying ''one more time" and I played it about four times through, usually I just do it twice. I kept hoping he'd jump in with a mandolin break to give me a chance to catch my breath and play rhythm. He didn't, but my lungs held up. Never knew I had that much air.
  That's why I always carry a harp with me.You never know when you'll get pulled onstage by somebody as good as Johnny Staats.

Dave Payne Sr.
Journalist and writer
1114 Charles St.
Parkersburg, WV 26101