Re: [Harp-L] Microphone recomendatins

<--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "James" <wasabileo@...>
<wrote:
<
<I have only begun playing amplified harp. Its been so long, I don't
<know what's out there. I remember the Shure "Green Microphone". Does
<anyone have any recommendations for a start. Can you purchase a decent
<microphone for $100.?
<Thanks for all your suggestions.
<James
<
<James,this might be helpful for you:
<http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/ampdmics.html#top
<--jk

This link is useful, but it doesn't mention the Audix Fireball V, which sells roughly in your price range, and which is designed expressly for harmonica.  It's the mic I use for most recordings and performances now.

However, this post says that James is using an amp. The fact is that for any given amp, certain mics will work very well, and others won't.  The same mic will sound very different through two different amps.  The mic therefore needs to be considered as an extension of the amp, meaning that James needs to take the amp in hand, go down to the music store, and try the mics that are in his price range with the amp.  That's the surest way to get a mic that really sounds good with the specific amp.

As to the original question, yes, plenty of good mics are available for under $100, including the Shure Green Bullet, the Astatic JT30, the Audix Fireball V, and the Shure SM57, all of which have been used successfully by harp players. But be sure to try any mic you're considering with the amp you plan to use it with, before you buy, or else buy from a dealer that will allow you to return the mic if it doesn't work for you.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at myspace.com/richardhunterharp
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter