[Harp-L] Bluegrass harp perspective

All good arguments from many harmonica players I really respect here.I have this to add.I play banjo, dobro and lead a weekly Bluegrass jam as the main singer and guitar player. but I have played harmonica in square dances and bluegrass jams for many years. I guess I know a lot of fiddle tunes on the trad. BG instruments and had a great jam two weeks ago where I played harmonica on a fiddle tunes that started with every letter of the alphabet with a seasoned fiddler friend. (Q, X and Z were tough). I used to play the bass and play the solos after the fiddler on harp with a holder in square dances. It was a good workout. But I wanted to speak up as the trad BG string player standing across from most harp players as they approach a jam. The harp players that can't play the lead up necessary to start a solo, or play the B section only once in a fiddle tune or don't play enough of the melody to allow the rest to follow them or the player that cups his hands and can't be heard all frustrate the other jammers.  Rule of thumb; listen to the fiddler, play the way the good ones play. Record yourself and be critical.Play a few country waltzes. i.e.. Tenn. waltz. Learn Angeline the Baker. Learn the words to some BG songs. Be the fiddler. my 2 centsMarkwww.MarkPanfil.com
www.BuffaloBluegrass.com
Recharge--play some free games. Win cool prizes too!
http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_wlmailtextlink