Re: [Harp-L] RE: Harp in bluegrass

In a message dated 8/10/2007 5:22:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
havaball@xxxxxxx writes:

Yes it's  true there are many bluegrass purists who regard harmonica
as a  non-bluegrass instrument; just as it's also true that many blues
purists  don't accept mandolin as a blues instrument (despite Yank
Rachell, Johnny  Young and Ry Cooder.) <shrug>  What can you do?
Everybody's  entitled to their opinion.

Too true. I've always been attracted to open minded talented musicians and
try to avoid closed minded talented musicians. The close minded talented
musicians have a right to their opinion as well. I won't try to change their  minds
- it's a waste of everyone's time.

As to diatonic harmonica applying to all other forms of music - as long as
the harmonica is played less "harmonicky" and more like a linear instrument, I
believe there is a place for it. In regards to traditional classical music, I
 think the diatonic can be effective as long as bends/OB are avoided. This
might mean switching harmonicas for consistent tone - not unlike the AMAZING
tremolo players I saw in Germany at the Hohner International Conventions, who
make it a real visual and aural art to constantly change harmonicas during a
piece. How about if one uses only two - a "C" and a "Db" held together,
simulating what a chromatic harmonica might provide? Has anyone played around  with
this?

The Iceman