Re: [Harp-L] Country Tuning and Charlie McCoy

IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:
<Here is what Charlie told me in regards to who first showed him <alternate tuning on diatonic harmonica.

<"An elderly man named Duane Parker from up state New York first showed <me the country tuning. He thought that it was what I did to play "Danny <Boy". It never occured to him that I would use 2 harps. I told him that <his way was the way I would do it from now on."

That's almost exactly what I heard from Charlie in 1979. What he told me is that the guy said, "It took me a really long time to figure out how you did it, but I finally figured it out," and then proceeded to play the piece, to Charlie's amazement. The guy then said, "That's how you did it, right?" to which McCoy replied "That's not how I did it, but it's how I'm going to do it from now on."

We all have our heroes, and we're all in awe of our heroes. I just want to point out that this story shows that on any given day, any one of us can amaze and delight our heroes.

regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
myspace.com/richardhunterharp
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhutner