Re: [Harp-L] Bizarre tunings for diddley music

Gamut wrote:
> Great to hear from someone who acknowledges that English traditional music
> exists! I deal with this problem by putting a valve on hole 6 of the draw plate.
> On a G harp you can then bend 6 blow down to C#.

:o)  Yep, there's a whole load of nice English music, though a lot of
people seem to write it off as "just a load of morris stuff" (not that
there's anything wrong with that, even).

As I said, my bending technique sucks (I currently just use it for
expression) and as a newbie I am working on other techniques more
useful to the sort of music I play.  No real excuse for not learning
to bend properly, but there you have it.  The valve solution sounds
good though.

Winslow wrote:
> These both look like cool solutions. Perfectly achievable starting with
> a solo-tuned instrument in C.
<...and some interesting discussion on chords>

Thanks for the advice and thoughts.  I think I'll have a go at
building the second tuning first as I don't have a solo tuned harp to
hand and I reckon I can work from the draw plates of A and G harps,
which makes for not too drastic retuning.

I guess, if I get anywhere with this (and I'll have to learn yet
another harp layout!) I'll post something later...

Thanks again,
Rob