Re: [Harp-L] signifyin'

In the southeast, when I was a child, I would hear that usage of the
word "signify" among the black men who worked on my uncle's farm.
When they said it, they meant lying, jiving and the word was often
paired with some other wicked/unproductive form of
behavior-worthy-of-insult as in
"bull-s****in' and signifyin'".
Willie Dixon, in a group I think was called Big Three trio did a much
cleaner version of the song that Rudy Ray Moore later "fixed up".

Brad Trainham