To: <rubinmichael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 5:24 AM
Subject: Subject: [Harp-L] music theory

FINALLY!!! Someone who "gets" it!

thanks, Michael! Not that I'm all that interested in theory..having studied
it for piano lessons as a child and disliking it even then...much preferring
to play my harmonica (and keyboard) by ear, for which I seem to have some
innate ability.

But I've been away from harmonica for a very long time, coming back to it
only 4 years ago. To my mind, I'm never going to be a professional or gigging
musician...have no ambitions to go into a studio to record at this particular
stage of my life...so why force myself to 'study' something which leaches
all the enjoyment out of my new (old) found hobby - my reason for which is
simply to make music to please myself on my harmonica...and perhaps not frighten
away friendly animals or other humans ;)

I'm at a point in my life and an age where I find studying theory boring
and a waste of my very limited time....when I'd much rather be playing instead.

Hanging around those harmonica people I am comfortable with however, I hear
those terms, and while they don't think of them as "theory" per se, they
leave me lost, and them frustrated because I'm neither "speaking nor
understanding" their language. So your premise is extremely sound...and for that reason
alone I'd love to hear more about your approach, and would most especially
be interested in a DVD series.

Elizabeth

"Message: 13