Re: [Harp-L] Cheap Tube Pre-Amps

I just saw this deal in an email from Musician's Friend.  (No association.)
Since this device has been discussed quite a bit on Harp-L, I thought some
of you might be interested in it.  They are selling the ART Tube Pre-Amp for
only thirty bucks.

I use what must be an ancient one, as I got it before the turn of the century.

I've been using a Rode mic with it to record harp on a project where all other tracks were recorded in a master studio with grown-up mics, mic-pre's and a/d converters. I can hear the difference but it's a nice one - the harp sounds just a little dirty, but still sweet.

Not that I wouldn't prefer to work on the best equipment, but I wouldn't use the ART if the result were unacceptible.

Here's the cool thing. If I don't have a budget to use a big-boy studio for my guitar, I of course record here at home. In this case I go direct with the guitar - no mics, and the ART makes a terrific guitar direct box. Way, way better than the dedicated guitar direct box I was using.