Re: [Harp-L] Zoom H4 + Simple Recording Setup

fssharp wrote:

<I went with the Microtrack due to many favorable reviews (on harp-L and <elsewhere) and mainly due to size, ease of navigation, and hopefully <superior sound, But with the included T-mic I got horrible noise on <"Low" sensitivity and with faders at 50%. I've returned it and am <awaiting a replacement, thinking there was something wrong with it.
<
<But maybe I am kidding myself and the T-mic will always have hiss/roar <for acoustic recordings at moderate volumes. If so, I will have to <think about the Zoom if it's built in electret mics are that much <better than the one provided with the Microtrack. Anyone know how <these compare? Was my original MT unit ok and that noise with the <T-mic typical? Anyone compare S/N on these two units with the electret <mics? I wish I could have side-by-sided them, but Guitar Center <doesn't carry Zoom (Samson product). Any advice on what to expect when <my replacement MT arrives (hopefully this week) would be greatly <appreciated.

Your problem is probably about how you're setting up to record, not about the Microtrack per se.

Hiss or roar is usually the result of a recording level that's too low (hiss) or too high (roar). First, you need to set the recording level, or the input level on the mics. You're already doing that, so the next question is: what else is the machine doing that needs adjustment from you?

The Zoom has an automatic limiter that's supposed to stop overloaded record levels. But I've found that I have to be careful about where I set the input level (low, medium, or high)--if I set the level to HIGH with a loud rock band, it overloads pretty quick. Also, I have to be careful to push the record button once to let the recorder get a level (while the band is playing!), before I press it again to start the recording--if it doesn't get a level first with something that's more or less representative of the highest sound level, overloading (which is your roar) is likely. If you don't set the levels right on the Zoom, even a recording of a solo acoustic harp sounds bad. Set them right, and the results range from good to amazingly good, depending on the sound of the room itself.

Your Microtrack probably has similar functions. I recommend that you read the manual to find out how to get the best results. These units are simple, and they can produce great results. But to get great results from any piece of equipment, you have to know how to work the thing. Fortunately, in this case, there probably aren't a lot of settings to work with. Half an hour with the manual should make you an expert.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter