Re: [Harp-L] Re: Why Learn Music Theory? An Answer...

Not my post, originally, but an excellent response nevertheless.

Tom
On Aug 2, 2007, at 7:52 AM, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/1/2007 8:08:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tombaehr@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

So I can better communicate with other musicians in a standardized
language, rather than a limited set of "harp talk".

well stated.

In learning music theory, the joy of listening to music is greatly
magnified. You can hear "into" the music and it takes on a wonderful three dimensional
quality. You can also start to appreciate how different musicians deal with
different specific aspects and challenges presented within the music.

A good place to start is David Burghe's Relative Pitch Course, which teaches
you to recognize intervals, voicings and hear within clusters. He's the guy
that developed that Perfect Pitch Course many have seen in music trade
magazines.

The Iceman