[Harp-L] Re: Why Learn Music Theory? An Answer...

There are MANY reasons to learn music theory; knowing how to select your
harp is a good one.  For me, it's worth learning (or trying to learn!) for
two main reasons:

1. So I can play music outside the stereotypical harmonica fare (folk and
blues).
2. So I can better communicate with other musicians in a standardized
language, rather than a limited set of "harp talk".

I'm not going to say that all harp players should learn theory; it depends
on what you want to be playing.  But for people who, like me, are often
frustrated by this instrument and feel constrained by what they are able to
get out of it, theory is one tool to get out of the box and really open up
the whole musical universe.

Jonathan Metts