Re: [Harp-L] Looking for new inspiration

drori hammer wrote:
> For many years I have listened to all the traditional blues harp
> players (as well as modern-day blues traditionalists), but I feel
> I want to hear what the "cutting edge" of diatonic harmonica
> players are doing. Can anyone suggest some good albums (or
> downloads) where I can hear good "modern" diatonic playing (E.G -
> use of overblows, different positions etc.). I have been listening
> a LOT lately to "Satan and Adam" and Carlos Del Junco,  but I`d
> like to hear others as well

Okay, I know it's been said a thousand times, but here it is again:
Listen to something besides harmonica players for inspiration.  Now,
I'll admit I was turned on by folks like Carlos del Junco playing
the music I love on harmonica in a way I hadn't imagined or didn't
think possible, but the real inspiration for me came in trying to
play non-harmonica music on harmonica.

I started playing with a jazz quartet a couple of years ago, and
nothing pushed my capabilities as much as that.  One of the things I
look forward to most in learning a new piece now is finding the harp
key/tuning/position that best works with the melody and improv
sections of a jazz piece, then coming up with an arrangement.  There
is no "formula" for what will work best, so I find myself trying all
manner of different things until I'm satisfied.  Even when I have
something that "works", I'll keep trying it other ways.

There are some good sources for "real" jazz, if you want to just
browse: I love to tun into XM radio channel 70.  When I lived in the
Dallas, TX, area I used to listen to the radio station from the
University of North Texas (which has an outstanding music school).
Now that I've moved away, I listen to them online:
http://www.kntu.org/universal/playlists/kntulive.asx

Put on the jazz station, grab a set of harps (better take a full
set, since everythings not in E, A or G -- lots of "horn keys": Bb,
Eb, Ab), and just play along.  Then go find yourself an open-minded
jazz band that will let you sit in.

-tim