Subject: [Harp-L] RE; HARP CLEANING

Mark Kegel writes:

"Just wanted to know what everyone is using to clean out the  combs.
Some one said to use Windex,  someone else said to  use
rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab.  How about it?
Harpo Mark"

Hi Mark:

Depends on what your comb is made of.  If anything but wood, any  of the su
ggestions you've been given EXCEPT Windex would be okay...(don't  use anything
as a final "rinse" you wouldn't use in you mouth)...but Jason  Ricci did a huge
post about his whole "Sexy Rocker OCD cleaning ritual"  you should be able to
find in the archives....I posted  my slightly  less involved version after
his.  There should be lots of information  there ...just look under that title
and all sorts of information will come  up.  It depends if you're cleaning
chromatics or diatonics of course  (windsavers can peel off if you're
overzealous)....

I have an Ultrasonic cleaner I've used on a couple of diatonics with  plastic
bodies...but then I tend to take them apart anyway to dry off the  underside
of the covers, then use my MAAS polish to prevent  rusting....

then 91% Rubbing alcohol to remove any trace of the polish wherever  my mouth
might come into contact.  Cotton swabs aren't exactly  lint-free...so a
toothbrush dedicated for that purpose (Reach-type ones  are best) dipped into the
alcohol scrubbed up into the mouthpiece with the  harp held mouthpiece
down....can loosen most of the junk....then a soft  wood (orange stick) sometimes
wrapped in bits of a soft cotton cloth (old  torn up t shirts are great for
this)....toothpicks, small brushes  (bendable wire ones....I just soaked then
scrubbed out instead  of discarding old mascara brushes and am now using them to
clean  the nooks and crannies of the mouthpieces...the tips are bendable).

Some people swear by denture tablets ....but I can't imagine soaking  any
metal covered harp in water.  That's what begins the rust,  imho.  So I do it
mostly with the alcohol....I may use a dampened  cloth just to wipe away
residue...but only occasionally and very  sparingly.

I had lots of discussions (and demonstrations) with people at Buckeye  about
the polish I use (since I originally found it in Ohio)...so here's a  link to
their website.  Phil Lloyd found it much less expensively on  Yahoo, but they
mention here it being used on musical instruments  including harmonicas (first
time I saw that specific reference)....Just  incidentally, it's been found to
be excellent for motorcycles too :)
_Click here: MAAS  Polish and Products from Collector's Secret_
(http://www.collectorssecret.com/maas.html)

Elizabeth