Subject: Re: [Harp-L] wooden cutting boards,,again

Bob writes:

"One more thing,,though every time I pause and read this, I find  something,,

"We believe that the experiments were designed to be  properly representative
of conditions in a home kitchen."

What  "home kitchen" in the years addressed (1992-1997) did not use  brushes
for cleaning, but only "sponges". Again, I believe, a  constraint that causes
the study to be flawed.

I could go on,  but not at this time.

Bob"

...well, actually, I'm glad fjm posted the study because I was about  to
begin the search for it right after catching up on my harp-l reading  (got back
from Buckeye totally exhausted and am behind on my  mail).

This wasn't the only page published...there was a LOT of media  coverage
about that very study...the safety of wood vis-a-vis  plastic/other material
cutting boards.  I remember it surprised a lot  of people at the time.  I don't
think it was the only study  done, so will keep looking.

As to your question about who "0nly" uses sponges...what you're  forgetting
about are those heavy-duty sponges with the flip side  having a "scrub" side (I
use the Scotch-Brite ones all the time)....some  for lighter-weight use, some
heavier.  The blue ones are marvellous  for my dishes and Calphalon pots, the
green ones for heavier use (they'll  clean anything) and I'd specifically
save one heavy-weight one for my  cutting boards...they can be sterilized by
boiling if you choose (they  might also be able to be nuked in the microwave
though I haven't tried  that), or my method of coating them with Comet for a while
to clean  them and then sticking them in the dishwasher after a  thorough
rinsing...or tossing (I get 15-packs from the Warehouse  clubs), and they
certainly get into all the nooks and crannies of the  cutting boards better than a
scrub brush (which was tough on my hand  at the time - I'd had hand surgery)...
I haven't gone back to the scrub brush, because THAT has to be  disinfected
too...and it's a heckuva lot simpler to disinfect or throw out  the scrubby
sponge.

I'll try to find the article/coverage I'd read ...I also think it was  much
more recent than 10 - 15 years ago. :)

Elizabeth