Re: [Harp-L] Do it yourself customizing questions (covers)

I haven't seen it mentioned in the digest, so may I suggest something re: tweaking Marine Band covers?  I learned it from the MB Deluxe covers & Joe Spiers simultaneously: once the flange is folded under, bend the edge of the coverplate up toward the vertical for strength.  The more vertical it is, the better it will resist crushing, and the surprise is that it does not feel odd to hold the reconfigured covers; doesn't take long to get used to them.  A rough estimate of the angle needed is that the flanges don't project beyond the comb's back face anymore and the whole thing sits level and stable when you set the harp down on its back.  You might be able to see it in a picture of a MB Deluxe.  It works great on Hering 1923 covers too, to name another example.  You may be surprised how strong the covers can become--maybe not step-on-it-with-no-ill-effects strong, but definitely strong enough to resist crushing by hand well.