tuning problems of fretted instruments compared to the piano, which has
a string for each note.

RD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Dempster" <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; "Jeff roulier" <jroulier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] Comb material

>         I am still unclear myself about the differences or
> relationship between the harmonica and fixed reed instruments, such
as
> clarinet, sax etc., which must bear similarities to other non-reed
> instruments such as trumpet, flute tenor horn, trombone etc. etc.

>        Any info on these subjects would be much appreciated by
> Yours's truly,
> RD

Harmonica and accordian are free-reed instruments. The reed swings
freely
and doesn't touch anything. There are no resonant tubes in the
harmonica or
accordian.

Woodwinds:
In Clarinet and sax the reed slaps the mouthpiece every cycle.
Oboe and bassoon are double reed instruments in which each reed slaps
another reed coming in the opposite direction sort of like clapping
hands..
The flute is essentially a whistle.
All the woodwinds have a resonant tube whose effective length is
changed by
opening holes to the outside.  Although these instruments (except
flutes)
have flared bells, most of the sound emanates from the first open
hole.

Brass:
In trumpets, trombones, tubas, etc., the player's lips act as double
reeds,
one slapping the other as they come together in a sort of Bronx
cheer..
In brass instruments, the length of the resonant tube is changed by
(dis)connecting extra lengths of tubing of various lengths by means of

valves.
The player selects various resonant registers by varying the muscular
tension in his lips.

Materials make a substantial difference in tone in stringed
instruments,
drums, and bells, but not in harmonicas or wind instruments..

Vern