Re: [Harp-L] wooden cutting boards,,I'm sorry,,can't help myself

Aren't "sponges", as the stated and default "cleaning" tool, NOTORIOUS for
harboring bacteria, "germs", etc., once having been used, irregardless of
the "rinsing and squeezing" done after usage? What kind of rigor does this
afford in the "cleaning" process?

The results state:

"We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from
wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large
numbers were used."

This statement says nothing about the "numbers" used in testing the plastic
boards. Not having said that the "numbers" of bacteria were a part of the
control, one could assume that perhaps the numbers of bacteria used in the
wooden boards could have been lesser than the numbers used in the case of
plastic, save for these "large numbers".

"New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily
cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had
many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces
that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually,,"

"knife cuts",,"knife scarred",,it would seem even the description of the
effects of a knife on the boards of differing materials could indicate that
a different pressure and severity of knife cut was used in comparing wood to
plastic. What is the standard? "Cuts" or "scarring"?

"Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic
surfaces from knife cuts."

No mention made here of the observed effects of knife cuts made to wooden
surfaces, in comparison. Perhaps they are assuming "No significant damage."?

It just seems that this result synopsis is leaving out too many things, in
my opinion.

Again, I'd have to read the actual research papers.

Bob