Re: [Harp-L] sound amplification

I started to Zombor,
                                 and stalled for lack of information;
however, I'll ramble on in benighted ignorance.
                                 To add some weight to your question
rather than answer it, I draw attention to the 'Asian Mouth-Organ; the
Khaen, or Khen, Sho, Sheng (not too good on these spellings)
                                 These instruments use a free reed
embedded in a pipe, the purpose of which is unknown to me.I assume that
it has to do with pitch, as the pipes vary in length.
                                 I think the barrel organ is
fundamentally the same thing, but I don't know about the domestic
reed-organ, having never seen inside one - do they have pipes?
                                 In the Asian mouth organs,the reed
appears to have a 'neutral ' offset ie no offset one way or the other,
thought that could be because the one I have is a cheap tourist gee-gaw
rather than a decent instrument.
                                 I assume the reason the
khen/sheng-thing has a pipe for each reed is that you can't have a
'free' reed (ie one that is not supported directly by the mouth) in a
pipe of variable length (with fingering-holes, keys &c. like a
penny-whistle, flute, or more to the point, clarinet, bassoon, sax,
oboe)
                                  I would guess that a free reed placed
in a pipe of variable length would produce, as the effective length of
the pipe was changed, a lot of overtones or harmonics that did not
reflect the sequential fingering in the way that all of the 'fixed' reed
instruments do.
                                  Pat Missin's site has a fair bit of
info on the Asian mouth organ, plus some greatrelated links.
                                  Hope this topic attracts some more
interest. I would really like to know a ahole lot more about it all.
Cheers,
RD

>>> Zombor Kovacs <zrkovacs@xxxxxxxxx> 20/04/2007 2:38 >>>
What about my question below? Nobody said nothin about
it.