Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 stainless steel reed harmonica

Effjay:
           What do you mean by 'the easy holes'? My order of 'ease'
(!?) would be:6,4,5,7,1,9,10. What's your's?
RD

>>> fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 15/04/2007 3:46:20 >>>
This is by far the best stock out of the box harmonica I've ever
played.
  I took the plunge and bought all 4 of the available keys, G, A, Bb,
and C.  They are very airtight and responsive.  Overblows work just
fine
on all of the easy holes.  The bodies are sealed maple.  The
coverplates
are vey open but without the side vents of a Marine Band 10 hole.  I
can
see that I will have a problem with the coverplates  I have an odd grip

and it stresses the centre of the coverplates.  I'll end up crushing
this coverplate flat in no time.  I've already deflected the G in less

than 5 minutes playing time.  The combs are longer than an 1896 and
perhaps a tad thicker.  The hole spacing ends up being wider because
the
holes themselves are larger.  The holes themselves are neither square
nor circular.  They are somewhat of a hybrid being more square than not

but being relieved in the centre.  They are a lot larger in overall
volume than the Marine Band comb.  The tuning appears to be neither
equal nor JI.  Certainly no very flat 5 and 9 draw.  Some very pretty
chording available on the lower end.  The middle octave not so pretty.

This is a very loud harmonica with very even response and set up.

I'm very curious to see what a tuning that reflects more closely my
playing style and a little bit of set up work will do for this
harmonica.  If I can solve my cover plate issue and the reeds really do

last towards the forever end of the spectrum this is going to be a very

tough harmonica to beat.  It is the only harmonica I've ever bought
that
out of the box I'd play in a gigging situation.  It's not perfect but
it's close enough in terms of what I need out of a harmonica that I
wouldn't be distracted by issues of playability.

Bear in mind this is just an initial assessment.  I'll report back as I

get more time in on these 1847's.  Pretty much the only harmonicas I've

ever played that I like as well have been pre war Marine Bands.  fjm