[Harp-L] Re: My Omni-bender

>...aside from the height disadvantage, how does it
>sound?

Basically like whatever harp you use to build it.

>Does it have any other advantages besides shorter
>length?

It allows for what I would call 'shallow' and 'deep'
bends. Let's assume a C harp and look at Hole 4. I
would tune the auxilliary reed to Bb which allows Blow
4 to bend down a semitone to B if you isolate the top
row. But there's more. Draw 4 can bend as normal from
D down to C# but if you isolate the bottom row you can
now also bend that D down to B.

As regards the height I found that the harp performs
well with combs about 75% of their regular height.
Fully assmembled this results in a harp that is about
50% taller than normal. I think you could get it a bit
shorter but I haven't made enough of them to tell
where the drop off in response becomes problematic.

I've said before that I think the XB is a legit
instrument but an All-Bender with traditional size,
sound and playability would capture lots more
attention. I also remain curious as to the design of
Brendan Power's All-Bender. I think he came up with an
idea that didn't require the top/bottom row.

Paul B.