Re: [Harp-L] Converting LPs 45s to CDs

Playing 78s with a non-78 needle like those used for LP will produce
poor results regardless of speed.

78s have much larger grooves than the "microgroove" LP records and the
styli (needles) are accordingly much larger. Most of the information is
stored in the edges of the 78 groove, and an LP needle will fall to the
bottom of the grove and bounce on the rubble.

There is a trick for recording 78s with a non-78 turntable that does
not involve using speed-up software. It involves adjusting the sampling
rate for recording proportional to the ratio between 78rpm and 45 rpm.
You use the special sampling rate, play and record the 78 at 45rpm,
then readjust the sampling rate after you've captured the wave file.
You can find the details by cruising 78rpm FAQs. Again, it's not a
high-quality solution as you're using the wrong needle to bypass the
most important information and introduce noise, then changing the
sampling rate by a factor of close to 2. But it does work as quick &
dirty solution if you don't have a 78 player.

Of course you could always cruise yard sales for old tunrtables that DO
have 78 rpm. But then there is also the matter of the EQ curve, which
is different for 78s and LPs and even different among different brands
of 78s at different historical periods, to say nothing of the variety
of speeds used by different companies (anywhere from about 60 to 90)
and the different shapes of stylus if you really want to get into it .
. .

Winslow