Re: [Harp-L] Re: death of live music

I live in New Orleans and we have the same situation that Tim Moyer talks about in Austin.  I lived in a small town in Ohio, and we normally made $100 per man.  Years later, when I lived in Daytona Beach, Fl.  I could book between a two to five piece band, but always for at least $100 per man.  In New Orleans, the place where we play the most is a historic bar, where they filmed many scenes from the Movie "Ray", and we play for tips, and 20 percent of the bar.  There are places that pay more, but no one get in those on a regular basis unless you are a national act. We seem to have gone backwards 30 years or more.  On the other hand, we get to hear music for free that in other places you would have to pay dearly for.

Harvey