[Harp-L] Playing what people want to hear

Throughout the death of/reemergence of live music thread I've read several
people saying that you have to play what people already know and even that
you have to play classic rock.  If I felt this is what I had to do then I
would just quit even trying to play out.  I wouldn't set foot in a club ever
again.  I play harmonica, people.  I don't want to play classic rock.  If I
want to hear classic rock then I'll put some on the CD player and listen to
it.  Who would wants to hear some schmuck covering The Who or Pink Floyd.
Seriously, I play blues because it's what I think sounds best on the harp
and what just feels good to play.  If this means I'm shooting my own foot
off then that's what I'm going to do.  I heard Kim Wilson interviewed once
where he said he didn't care if he was the last one on earth playing what he
plays, that he was going to keep playing it anyway.  I'm with Kim.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh