[Harp-L] OT Harp

Hey Glenn,

Beautiful music on your site!  I'm listening to the medley with "Miss
McLead's Reel" how do you achieve that drone by the way - that's cool!
I know that tune from the OT repertoire (as you noted - Hop High
Ladies).

When Donald Black was visiting the states last year I had the good
fortune to host him at my house. We had a fine time trading his versions
of Scottish Tunes and the versions I know that had been passed down
through the southern mountains.  Not surprisingly, his versions were
MUCH more nuanced in terms of melody but mine were more backbeat
influenced.  He's coming to New York to visit next week - can't wait to
play with him again!

And I use a mixed embouchure but try to TB as much as possible.

Trip

Hi Trip-

I usually play the melody line too on fiddle tunes, but I also play
backup
at times to vary the texture of the music. I should add that I've never
been
to the OT festivals such as Galax or Clifftop, so I've never had to "do
as
the Romans do" in those situations. I would also defer to the fiddlers
there
and play straight melody if that's what they wanted.

BTW, what's your embouchure use? Do you pucker or T-block the tunes? I
do
either depending on the tune. You can hear my version of "Miss McLead's
Reel" (Hop High Ladies) online here.

Later,
Glenn Weiser
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm