[Harp-L] OT Harp

Hi Trip-

I usually play the melody line too on fiddle tunes, but I also play backup
at times to vary the texture of the music. I should add that I've never been
to the OT festivals such as Galax or Clifftop, so I've never had to "do as
the Romans do" in those situations. I would also defer to the fiddlers there
and play straight melody if that's what they wanted.

BTW, what's your embouchure use? Do you pucker or T-block the tunes? I do
either depending on the tune. You can hear my version of "Miss McLead's
Reel" (Hop High Ladies) online here.

Later,
Glenn Weiser
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm

http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/MP3main.htm

Trip Henderson wrote-
My personal approach to playing old time music on the harmonica is to
play the role of fiddler.  So you are either lead fiddle or second
fiddle.  Lead plays...you guessed it - melody.  Second plays, yup, a
second part, usually doubling the melody or far less often, creating a
part below the melody that emphasizes harmony and chords. In my
experience playing with top level OT players they do NOT want you
"adding vamps and other rhythmic effects to enhance the piece".  Here's
a link to my MY SPACE site where on the tune "Five Miles of Ellum Wood"
I duet with an old time fiddler.  You'll hear what I'm talking about.