RE: [Harp-L] Am I crazy if I sell my Bassman RI, Ltd?

I too love the sound of smaller amps. So much so, that I built one based on a tweed Princeton 5F2-A. (Pat Ramsey has used a tweed Princeton for his entire career, both live and in the studio. He uses two on stage; one which he mics to the PA, the other which he angles toward him as a monitor.

Here are some amps which I have let go:
1) Sonny Jr. Model 1 4X8
2) Fender Pro Jr.
3) Kalamazoo Model 2
4) Sovetek Mig 50 Head, Peavey 4X10 cabinet (Saw Kim Wilson use this set-up, went out and bought one the next day.)
5) Silvertone 2X12 "piggy-back", MINT
6) Holland "Baby Harp" single-ended 6L6 amp

Total prize package worth: $3,350.00

Now here's what happened to them:
1) Sonny Jr. - sold back to Gary Onofrio for $900, (plus $60 shipping)
2) Fender Pro Jr. - sold to a friend for $150. Friend gave me $50 then left town.
3) Kalamazoo - Loaned to Pat Ramsey's son Clyde to practice with. He loaned it to a guitarist who SOLD IT!
4) Sovtek - sold it for $100 cash, Peavey 4X10 cabinet - sold it for $100 to a friend. Friend gave me $25, disappeared from the face of the Earth. (Not the same "friend" as above.)
6) Silvertone - sold it for $200
7) Holland - Traded it for a custom amp cabinet. (The cabinet now takes up space in the local County landfill.)

Total loss: $2,260.00

How many of these would I love to have in my possession right now? All of them.

Morals of the story:

1) NEVER loan ANYTHING to a friend. Tools, CDs, amps, mics...NOTHING!
2) Never sell anything that you truly loved at one time. There was a reason that you loved that amp in the beginning, and that feeling could return soon. If you never liked the amp from the get-go, well, that's a different story. Our tastes for tone evolve over time, sometimes coming full-circle back to the beginning. That's when we kick ourselves for selling that cherry '58 Deluxe to buy a long-gone girlfriend a ring (which she kept).
3) If you do sell equipment, never sell it cheap just because you are in financial straits. Trust me. I sold my Sonny Jr. to pay the rent for my café, which is now out of business. I sold a chainsaw to pay a cell phone bill once. Two weeks later, a tree fell in my front yard. Sold the chainsaw for $50. Paid a tree service $100 to deal with the fallen tree. But hey, at least I could call them on my cell phone!

But if you MUST sell it, I'll give you a grand for it. I'll send you a check for $50, you send me the amp, and I'll get you the rest real soon, I promise. Thanks friend! :o)

John Balding