[Harp-L] Music Writing Question

In my quest to both be a better harp player and to learn how to read and write music, I've decided to write out my exercises on music paper. How do I know where to place the notes on the staff to differentiate between the first, second, and third octaves.

For example, I've seen it where the C from the first octave on a C harp is written:

-o-

What about the other keys? There must be a rule for this. How far above or below the main staff must/can you go to express the scales correctly. Damn, I should probably take a few theory courses at Berkeley. :-( Wish there was another 12 to 24 hours in the day.

Bob Cohen