Re: [Harp-L] Re: Why is C not named A?

I wonder if it's too late to take up drums...

-tim

Siegfried Naruhn wrote:

Hi ABC,

on the first view the subject sounds like Vern´s idea to the
question < .. Why  is a rock called a rock and the wind called the
wind? <,

However, the explanation that the C might be derived from the
latin "cantus"
(song, melody, music ect.) only sounds well but isn´t compelling
either.

Here´s another idea. The German notation is: c d e f g a h, while
the
English substitutes h by B, so getting C D E F G A B.

Now, when setting A B at the beginning the result is the correct
alphabet
where the other 5 notes are already placed.

This means that the alphabetical order of C is obvious and doesn´t
necessarily
mean the first letter of "cantus". Why the letters A B got to the
end leaving
at the beginning I can´t explain either.

But whatever or whoever has managed that, the question is then why
the
English notation doesn´t read: C D E F G H I  ??  which would be the
logical
consequence if the alphabet had been the basic idea.

 Siegfried