Re: [Harp-L] Why is C not named A?

I tend to read this post from Michael as probably meaning that the
student can't learn the theory until it makes sense.
I doubt that Michael means that he or she can't learn to play their
instrument, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten so far as to be taking
lessons. If that is so, it would be bizarre.
Assuming my original assumption to be correct, I would say this student
is a 'big picture' type. I remember most other students when I was at
school would take on maths and  music theory without question. They
would write harmony excercises without having any apparent interest or
practical experience in music, while I, with, in general, a little more
of the latter and an ear sharper than averager, found the theory lessons
a tortuous jungle, which only became navigable as I taught myself
through playing in later years.
Questions regarding trigonometry to the maths teacher regarding 'what
is it for?' 'why 'are we doing it ' 'how do you use it' were always met
with flabergasted amazement and 'you don't need to know that; just do
it'.
However, if he'd said, for example, 'for producing an accurate drawing
of a bridge arch or a sound wave' the door to reasoning might have
opened a little further. I might even have become interested. Not
everyone's mind works in the same way, and maths teachers - and maybe a
lot of music teachers too - generally don't see the need to express
themselves in any other way than through the 'pure language'.
The question seems like a red herring, but for some people, musing on
stuff like this can help you understand that music theory is an attempt
to formalise  sound frequencies into a language that can be collectively
understood. It is the creation of an imperfect science that attempts to
make systematic tools for dealing with the aesthetics and vagaries of
art; like the old attempts of early astronomers to make the theories of
the solar system reflect beliefs religious concepts. On the way, some
real truths were discovered.
The number system is based on ten, 'cause we have ten fingers; if we
had only five we would count 1-2-3-4-10, except the last figure's name
would be five, not ten - same deal - an attempt to formalise the
quantifying of matter; inhently approximate (no two real objects ever
being exactly the same, so the question remains: 'one? one what?')
But for most practical purposes, it works.
You can look at the musical staff as keyboard tablature turned on its
side, if you want.
Personally, I'd skip the theory and let the student learn by ear.
They'll figure the rest out in their own good time, if they're ever
going to.
RD

Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com