RE: [Harp-L] Bass harp layout

When you play bass the most common interval you play is a perfect fifth.
Each of the perfect fifths can be played on either the bottom or the top
of the bass without the need to switch.

The B to F# can be played on the top only if the B is there. If you take
the B out and put an extra B# in there then you have to switch decks to
play that fith.

This also has a big impact on playing triads. With the B on the top deck
all the triads you can play follow just a few simple patterns when the B
becomes a B# that changes dramatically.

The susuki basses have a C in the upper deck, which is a major reason
why bassplayers don't play on them. I have a susuki bass and I retuned
the C's in the upperdeck down to B.

Tinus
http://www.overblow.com
http://www.tenhole.com