Re: [Harp-L] Para Accoustic DI by LR Baggs?

Hi Alexander

I've had many years experience with the L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. and consider it a valueable tool, using it mainly for a few things:

REDUCING the output from my very hot bullet-type mics into my harp amps (which all have way too much gain.) This is irrespective of any volume controls on the mics or preamp tube substitutions.

EQing for amps that could use it but lack adequate tone controls.

Reducing feedback by using one particular mid-range cut setting - if it had one more center-frequency it would be damn near perfect for my needs.

What it is:
A very useful stage tool, especially for "acoustic" guitarists whose on-board pickup/preamp combos are lacking somewhat in features; a nice 1-input !! stage "mixer" that lets you loop an FX chain, send a post-FX balanced low-Z signal to a PA board (that could be very far away) and a "dry" signal elsewhere; a set once and forget device; a great DI recording device for input instruments (or mics) with very high impedance - the input impedance on this thing is 10 megOhm.

What it isn't:
A harp preamp in the accepted meaning of that term - you don't use it to produce an overdriven sound - you use it to overcome certain problems with the preamps you feed it to; an interactive control (pedal) - once it's set, you don't pop it in and out of the signal chain, nor mess with it. In fact, the early version (which I have) has a "gain" control you set on the circuit board INSIDE THE DEVICE. Their thinking was, once you've matched it to your guitar pickup's need for gain, you lock it up! I originally set it up to provide unity gain from my hottest Green Bullet with the output volume on the DI at full-on. Current versions now control gain with an external knob - since a lot of performers switch instruments in a set.

Hope this helps. Cheers,
Staggerin' jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Savelyev" <Alexander.Savelyev@xxxxxxxx>