Re: [Harp-L] Audix Fireball vs. EV 920

Tim Moyer Wrote
clean mic that doesn't distort can be used to feed a very diverse
signal chain, with character added to the sound downstream.  Hybrid
preamps, effects processors, EQs and all manner of things are far
more effective and flexible when you start with a clean, broad
signal.

Tim, I have to say this is the most lucid and best argument I've heard for using a "clean" mic. It makes great sense. When a "vintage" type mic is over-driven, the signal it puts out is extremely distorted. IN a completely analog chain, such as right into a '59 Bassman, this results in the "warm" distortion we all know and love. However transistors don't behave at all like tubes. Once they're driven above their maximum input or output levels, their distortion is very hard-edged (think square- and triangular wave forms instead of sin waves) and full of hard-edged harmonics which tends to produce a much less pleasing sound. If you want to use a chain of solid state effects pedals and signal processors downstream of the mic, you are much more likely to get good results with a clean input signal. The Fireball does have an extremely high tolerance of input SPL, therefore would be a good choice in this situation.

/Greg