[Harp-L] u-block (was: "Single Hole")

On Sunday Aug 27th, "lil Buddha" <ltlbuddha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
> On 8/26/06, Rick In Davis <rickindavis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>   I offer a simple change in nomenclature:  It's not pucker;  it's
>> "Single-Hole."
>... If there were an technique that is, for
> all practical purposes, only used for one note, it is the u-block.
> Lip-blocking/pucker/whatever - this is the same technique
> used for open  chords. Single note to as many notes as your
> mouth can handle are basically the same technique.
> Tongue blocking - No argument available, this is a combination
> single/multiple note embouchure.
> U-block - While it is possible to play multiple notes with this
> method, I have rarely found that to be effective.
> Myself, I primarily use u-block in combination with t-block.
> And some multi-note puckering thrown in.

If I could manage only sigle notes with u-block embouchure, I
wouldn't use it. For blues anyway, I probably spend as much
time playing adjacent-hole, two-note intervals as single notes,
all u-blocked. Plus, I use a u-block/t-block combination for 1-3
splits. Some folks' u-blocks are tight and rolled: drinking-straws.
I guess these would be single-note only.

John Thaden