Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic to tremolo

OK, you told me you are playing a 16-hole Hohner Weekender.

The model is important because there are many variations on tremolo
tuning.

The coast2coast music tuning chart for this model shows a harmonica
with a tuning similar to single-reed diatonic but with two important
differences:

- It starts on what would be Hole 2 on a standard diatonic.

- It ends on what would be Hole 9 on a standard diatonic.

The other important difference is that the draw reeds are located one
hole to the right of the blow reeds - on a standard diatonic they would
be in the same hole.

So here is a translation chart from diatonic tab to tab for this model.

B= blow

D = draw

So, for instance 3B = Hole 3, blow

Diatonic tab on the right, Weekender HA-114 on the left

1B ---

1D ---

2B = 1B

2D = 2D

3B = 3B

3D = 4D

4B = 5B

4D = 6D

5B = 7B

5D = 8D

6B = 9B

6D = 10D

7B = 11B

7D = 12D

8B = 13B

8D = 14D

9B = 15B

9D = 16D

10B --

10D --

Note that the blow notes are always an odd number - 1,3,5 etc. and the
draw notes are always even numbers - 2, 4, 6, etc.

SO you could say that 1 and 2 equals Hole 2 of a diatonic, 3 and 4
equals Hole 3, etc.

Moving from single-reed diatonic to tremolo, one thing can be very
frustrating. If you play Blow 7 on a diatonic, you know what the draw
note is going to be - it's in the same hole. But if you play the
corresonding Blow 11 on your tremolo, you might get Draw 10 or Draw 12
- two different notes. It takes some practice to know which note is
going to come out when you change breath.

Also, if you have two holes of the harmoica in your mouth, your breath
is going through four reeds - two upper, two lower. This can take a lot
of breath,

For these two reasons - breath saving and finding your place, try
adjusting your mouth so that only one noe comes out - when you blow you
get a blow note but nothihng comes out if you inhale. When you draw,
you get a draw note but nothing comes out when you exhale.

Hope this helps.

Winslow