RE: [Harp-L] Diatonic to tremolo

Sorry to be pedantic, but a tremolo is a diatonic. Anyhow, as I recall
(don't use trem. much) the blow and draw notes are situated in adjacent
holes eg on a C trem.: hole 1B=C; hole 2D=D etc.
The reason for this setup being that the tremolo sound needs two reeds
per note so there is no draw reed paired with the blow (and vice versa)
in the same hole.
When I play a trem., I'm aware that I'm treating the holes in pairs so
that holes 1&2 equal hole one on the single reed diatonic. It's probably
best to approach it this way for tab purposes, so that each block of
four holes,  1&2, top and bottom rows, equals one hole on the single
reed instrument.
You have to move twice the distance on a tremolo to get the same
sequence of notes as on a single reed diatonic.
Note:By "single reed" I mean a Marine Band, Special 20, Pro Harp, Blues
Harp etc.etc.
A tremolo is a diatonic harp 'cause it sure ain't chromatic; not even
potentially semi-chromatic as you can't bend the beasts (unless you feel
like separating the bottom and top holes - aarrgh!)
As long as the instrument is chord-tuned ie draw 3/4 (being the same as
draw 2 on the single reed) and blow 5/6 (being the same as blow 3 on the
single reed) are the same note - 'G' on a C instrument, then the tab for
the single reed diatonic will transfer as long as you treat each block
of four holes (counting upper and lower decks) as one hole.
Hope this makes sense.
RD

>>> "Steve Shaw" <moorcot@xxxxxxx> 15/09/2006 8:26:47 >>>

>From: Ivan Zivkovic <hardin369@xxxxxxxx>

>I tried to get tabs for tremolo harp from tabs for diatonic. I assume
that
>you cannot use diatonic >tabs for tremolo (maybe iam wrong). I used
tabs of
>Dirty old town (Pouges) and combined >tremolo tuning charts from
>http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/double_reed/tuning_charts.shtml, >and

>diatonic http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/diatonic/tune_charts.shtml,
and it
>doesnt seems >right. But maybe iam wrong! I hope someone will solve my

>problem!

I've never used tab at all, but I don't see why diatonic tab shouldn't
work
for tremolo.  I play both kinds of harp...I could be wrong.  Somebody
will
probably tell us.

The Pogues version of "Dirty Old Town" is quite interesting in that it
has
instrumental breaks (including the intro) in D, whereas the verses are
sung
in G.  On a diatonic harp there are a few possibilities.  You can play
the
intro and central instrumental break in first position in D on a D harp
(low
D for preference), then stick with the D harp and play the sung verses
in
12th position, G.   Or, you can use a G harp and play the intro and
central
break in second position, then the sung verses in first position, G.
You
can actually play this melody in three different positions on the one
harp -
first, second and 12th.  Wanna practise your positions and the
changeovers?
This is the tune for you!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica