Re: [Harp-L] Cannery Row Suite by Dave Brubeck

That's great mr. Ruth; I hope it'll end up on cd too?

I saw mr. Brubeck on tour a year or so ago, and his age didn't show in his playing at all; I hope that if I grow old, it will be in such fine shape too :-)

I haven't heard Triple Play yet, but your older recordings with mr. Brubeck are true milestones in diatonic harmonica music IMO.

Can you tell us how mr. Brubeck goes about writing for our strange little instrument?

Ludo

Madcat wrote:
Dave Brubeck wrote a new piece of music, you might call it a Jazz
opera, called the âCannery Row Suiteâ.

The world premier the âCannery Row Suiteâ is this Sunday at the
Monterey Jazz Festival in Monterey, California.

Fortunately for me, Dave wrote a harmonica part into the new piece.
In fact the piece starts and ends with solo harmonica.

The piece will feature the Dave Brubeck Quartet:
Dave Brubeck - piano
Bobby Militello - alto saxophone and flute
Michael Moore - bass
and
Randy Jones - drums

plus Triple Play:

Chris Brubeck - trombone, bass and vocals
Joel Brown - guitar and vocals
and
Peter Madcat Ruth - harmonica and vocals

plus vocalist:

Kurt Elling
and
Roberta Gambarini

My harmonica parts are in the keys of:

Eb minor  (which I will play on a B harp in fifth position and on a
C# harp in third position.)

C  (which I will play in second position on an F harp and on a low-F
harp)

and

G  (which I will play in second position on a C harp)

Now I guess I'll practice my parts a few (hundred) more times...

Peace & Joy,

Peter Madcat Ruth
madcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.madcatmusic.net