From: 46long@xxxxxxxxx
To: randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 8:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] my favorite jason ricci quote

Yes, as a 35 year old white dude with a Master's degree and who drives aÂ
2000 Saturn....I'm painfully aware of my lack of visible blues street cred.Â
However, I've always shied away from what I call the "sho-nuff" factor. I'mÂ
not wearing sunglasses and a pork pie hat. As a duo, we often play lots ofÂ
early evening gigs. I regularly come straight from my day job of teaching toÂ
the gig - and I don't have a costume to change in to. When I dress for aÂ
gig, I err on the "dressing up" side of things. I'm not George Thoroughgood,Â
I'm not Sonny Boy, and I'd feel foolish for pretending.Â
Yes, I know the importance of selling an image - especially forÂ
entertainment value. I just don't feel right being something I'm not.Â
Then again, I don't do this for a living....and a good thing too.....Â
- BlakeÂ
On 9/13/06, randy singer <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Â

> he should get a music nobel peace prize for this priceless quote.Â

> "At what point did music stop being about expression and start beingÂ
> another form of libation. It's just another intoxicant'' for theÂ
> audience, Ricci said. ``I refuse to put my hair in a pompadour andÂ
> wear a three-piece suit the color of an Easter egg and do my bestÂ
> vaudevillian blackface act.''- JASON RICCIÂ

-- Blake TaylorÂ
http://46long.comÂ;
http://www.myspace.com/46longÂ;