[Harp-L] gigging with small amps

Due to stage volume issues I've been having with the band lately I decided to take some advice that has been given here many times in the past. While I was blasting my band mates off stage trying to hear myself, the harp sound was thinning out by the time it reached the audience. I finally broke down a few months ago and decided to run a signal to the pa. I was hesitant to do so for so long because I thought my band mates might see it as a way to add more volume. What it did was move the volume off stage and out to the audience where it needed to be heard.

But rather then miking the particular amp I ( like to rotate the use of all 4 of my amps) and risk picking up other sounds on stage I decided to isolate the harp and install lines out in the post pre- amp stage and connect (via active box) to the pa. Except for outdoor gigs I only bring the small 5 to 15 watt amps to gigs now. I place them on an amp stand in front of me and use them like a monitor. I had my amp tech attach a 1/4 inch female jack directly on the speaker housing of the Skylark so that no direct/active box is needed. All the necessary circuity is wired to the female plug so I can plug and play thru the pa.

Down the road I'm going to have him set up all my amps for plug and play use without the need of a "box" in between. The only time I'll need to use a box is if I need a ground lift switch.

The band has been very patient and helpful with making it work. It took a few weeks for the guy running the pa from stage to know how much volume to give me out front but
the audience really liked what they heard last week and the harp filled the room much better then if only coming through the amp.

I'm now convinced running a small to medium size amp thru a pa is the way to go to fill out the sound in a room and keep peace with the bandmates.:-)

mike "the other mic"