[Harp-L] Re: Tony Glover

Excerpt

Chris sez :

"I've heard he's less than spectacular on the instrument he loves but I still wouldn't hold that against his book which stands on its own.
Chris "

Hurricane sez :

I had been at it a while playing cross harp in a CW band when the book came out , I didn't buy it .

Years later it was given to me as a gift and it served me well as a way of explaining just what I was doing when I was asked stuff about " cross harp " . And years later I see how it helped me in understanding many guitarist mind set that in turn helped me get over and into live playing with different  music styles & genres .

To myself it represents more than a text for just playing a harmonica , it reflected an attitude that in some way helped define a time when music for the harmonica player opened up the harmonica to the world outside the black community of The Blues and the world to country harmonica players ( note Duford Baileys great contribution to CW harmonica playing ) it made sense where no one was addressing things harmonica when it came to the 10 hole diatonic .

I still have mine and take it out to let a novice read and get a better  picture , a little clearer idea so to speak of what I mean as it's pivitol place in describing the time set when it came out and how his humor factored into this equation , a time capsule if you will depicting the 60's

- - Civil rights and  the unrest that the USA had to address and face up to ,

Vietnam , ( Whoa ! )

- - Womens Rights ,

yep Toni's little gem came out in a time of super controversy here in the USA and somehow Tony was able to make sense out of his nonsense attitude in his not so conventional music instruction book .

Tony Glover is in a way a pioneer in text developmet for the harmonica community that at that time was part of the millions of people ( some estimates at the time placed harmonica sales in the 3 million pieces sold a year here in the  USA at the time of his publication ! ) who lived those times of turmoil .

Get that - -

3 million plus a year sales

and he was the only game in town as far as a learning aid for harmonica players interested in CW & The Blues ( plus add in the Rock-N- Rollers ) who were in the dark searching out things harmonica in second position ( cross harp to those who are not familiar with this term :) !

My hat's off to him like the rest this list's seasoned wood harmonica men ( and ladys too :) for their input on this individual [ Tony Glover ].

Every publication of music instruction on any instrument gains in improvement as their second edition(s) follows and then other writers of music instruction realize that there is a " market " to exploit and there you have it ..................

Easy Wind Talkers Who Talk The Talk Because The Walked The Walk

and- - -

Easy To Those Who Are Begining Their Own  Harmonica ,

 " Walk About ".

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :