[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 37, Issue 21

  First, I'd like to take a minute to honor the untimely passing of one of the truly exceptional of our own, David McKelvy. I've known David since the mid-70's and he was an incredible chromatic player as well as a very agressive diatonic man. He was only in his fifties so this is pretty shocking to me. He was a truly dedicated harp practitioner and I'm sure Danny Wilson will have much to say about him as well since they were in a fantastic harmonica trio for 25 (?) yrs.
      Next, I agree w/ Filisko that pitch accuracy is a huge aspect of being a great blues harpist, however, there's much more to it than that. Phrasing, note selection,
  taste (when to play, when to lay out what to play @ a given moment) dynamics, tone, volume awareness, articulation, choice of material, smoothness, rhythm, etc. all these things come into play in creating excitement or a desired effect in a blues solo or accompaniment.
      I admit, though, I spend a lot  of time w/ beginning level students on intonation and recommend substantial ear-training (for most folks that don't have perfect pitch) and playing into a 12 tone mic/equipped guitar tuner (like the Korg chromatic) to see how most players inadvertently flatten the 2 hole draw (G on C harp) and play the whole step bend there (F) {and on the 4th hole draw bend} too sharp. I consider this learning the alphabet. After one masters these "letters" one can proceed to words (licks) then phrases /sentences building up to a whole paragraph (verse) and chapter (solo) and story (song). Hopefully, during the course of the story one states a motif, develops and varies it ,perhaps hits a few emotional peaks and releases then reachs a climax.
       It's all about communication and  after 39 yrs. I'm still learning !
                                                                                       Chris

Chris "Hammer" Smith
Hammer Smith Band
Official Myspace Page http://myspace.com/chrishammersmith