RE: [Harp-L] Rick Dempster and Body & Soul

> In my opinion, it is very, very hard to play a jazz ballad on the
> diatonic that compares with the same ballad played on
> chromatic. Ballads
> are red meat for chromatic players.

It is also easier to just play the recording by Coleman Hawkins, but
that wouldn't be half as much fun as playing it on the diatonic.

I want to thank Rick for mentioning Body and soul I had a really great
evening playing it.

Since Jason had the guts to post his version (even with trombone in the
background) I thought I couldn't stay behind.

(The sound you hear in the background is someone moving tables around)

I tried to use the techniques I wrote about in a different post where
you start the overblow just a toch low and slide it up to the note and
stay there.

http://www.tenhole.com/server/files/mp3/bodyandsoul.mp3

By the way, I noticed another thing, playing that melody at this tempo
in Db makes me run out of breath. If I play in positions with a lot of
regular notes I can breath through my nose on the long notes, but when
it is all overblows and bent notes then that doesn't work and I feel
myself gasping for air on the end of the long notes.

Tinus
http://www.tenhole.com
http://www.overblow.com