[Harp-L] Rick Dempster and Body & Soul

Hi Guys,

I don't know if I'm making Rick's point below or refuting it, but here's a crack at Body & Soul.

http://www.shtreiml.com/bodySoul.mp3

Yeah it's a difficult song to be sure and I don't know if it will ever lie "naturally" on the diatonic harmonica, but keep in mind the technique of treating the diatonic harmonica, chromatically is in it's relative infancy. I've only been doing it for about 4-years. I think through proper education (both general musical education and that specific to the harmonica) and time (read practice) more people will discover that there is more to the harmonica than 12-bar blues. Sure maybe not every composition or musical technique may be applicable to the harmonica. There's no harm in trying to expand one's skill through trial and perhaps error.

J. Rosenblatt

P.S. the noise in the background of the clip is my wife practicing trombone.

Rick Dempster writes:
"The overblow thing seems to be an important ingredient; damn
things sound so awkward and ugly that it's easier to get away with it in
freak-out type material, or takes on eastern scales that most westerners
expect
to sound weird anyhow. The day I hear someone play - on a diatonic - a
credible
version of, say, 'Body and Soul' perhaps, with good improvisation a la
Lester,
perhaps, and with the tone of Charlie McCoy playing 'Ruby', that will be the
day
when I can feel that all this messing around with overblows has amounted to
more
than an outlet for idle curiosity. Somehow I doubt that day will come. (I'm
sure
I won't be the blowing at its dawn either)"

Hey List,
 I guess Rick doesn't like the sound of overbends??
 That's okay, anybody can like or not like anything they want.

But...um... Rick, FY I - improvising over the chords to Body & Soul (I
think it's Eb,D,Dm,-just about the hardest modulation to play on diatonic!) is
not why I play overbends. It's easy to set up that kind of straw horse
argument to try to make a point, a la: "The day I hear Toots play a convincing
version of Roller Coaster on chromatic is the day I'll accept it as a blues
instrument."

You'd have to listen very carefully to tell where the overbends are on my
recordings, which are plain old rock/pop. (Not " freak-out type material".) No
one has ever said they sounded awkward & ugly, but it's true I can't play the
changes in B&S. (Yet.) So what? How did using overbends get intrinsically
mixed up with playing jazz or playing in all twelve keys? I can play pretty
comfortably in seven or eight positions (depending on the tunes,) & overbends
are necessary to make the scale & interval ideas I want to use in the music I
play. I have way more trouble getting half step bends to sound right than I do
overbends.

When you say you haven't heard Michalek yet, well, then, you haven't heard
him. Like the other poster who slammed Michalek the other day, how can you
criticize something you haven't heard? (See my long post #45003, near the end)
Next to Howard Levy, I would say Chris is the best OB player out there. His
overbends don't stick out to me.

Incidently, I've personally heard Levy play the s**t out of Body & Soul.
Raised the hair on my arms. Rick, maybe you wouldn't dig it, but I sure did!
There are probably a few others who can play B&S. Maybe even Chris. Maybe
George Brooks. Maybe one of those South American whiz kids. Maybe a bunch of
folks. .

BTW, I've been enjoying harp-l a lot lately. Thanks to all the posters &
especially to the administrators (you sexy boys).
Later,
Rosco
_may.be au.gust_ (http://www.maybeaugust.com/)

download or stream live recordings: _may.be au.gust_
(http://www.maybeaugust.com/Live.aspx)