Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] Rosco/Alec on OB's/half-bends

It seems all I do is practice bending and intonation! However, the three whole step bend always gives me troubles live.  That and the 4ob.  I try to practice them while cupping a mic at gig intensity, but all my hard work at home is out the door at a gig.

  That being said, my blow bends have been much better lately.  Same with 6ob.  Many in a another year I'll finally get it down.

  Mike

  --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred & Sylvia"
wrote:

Rosco wrote:
"I have way more trouble getting half step bends to sound right than
I do
overbends."

WHOAAA !!! Well that makes me feel a LOT better! I've taken to
heart Joe
Filisko's statement that accurate bending (and holding) to pitch is
THE
essential technique of a (blues) harmonica player, and George Brooks'
admonition that accurate bends signal a really good player. Thanks,
guys.
I've been testing my 3'/3" and 2' accuracy lately vs. a keyboard and
it's
been a real struggle. I was starting to get discouraged. Now I
hear that a
player like Rosco has trouble with the half bends, I'm like sooo
relieved.
Thanks for the insight. Maybe I should seriously take up
overbending if
it's easier. (I would also like to know the best way to get the
latest
Maybe August CD - was hoping to pick one up at SPAH, but we were,
alas,
Rosco-less.)

Then Alec wrote:
"I'd also agree with Rosco that half step bends are actually harder
to nail
down."

Ok, that's 2-0 in the "I don't think I'm crazy but these half-step
bends are
driving me nuts" Dr. Phil Sweepstakes. BTW Alec, great to see you
post! A
wise word from a this harp-l vet is always welcome.

So, why do the half-bends get such short shrift vs. over-bends in
the great
harp-l ugly note debate (Winslow's Ode-to-Joy competition non-
withstanding)?
Questions to the pundits - I seem to have much better luck on the
intermediate bends on a Bb or G harp vs. an A. I'm thinking it might
actually be the specific harp, not the key? Or is there any reason
that key
might be particularly difficult viz-a-viz my physiology. Question
2 - I
seem to be able to control intermediate bends better if I pinch my
nose.
Any suggestions for stopping this embarrassing leakage?

Fred S
(who is somewhat disappointed after reading Rosco's post to learn
that
harp-l administrators are a bunch of sexy boys, when he had thought
all
along that they were a bunch of sexy girls, or a least a mixed crowd)

--- End forwarded message ---

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica

http://www.myspace.com/mikefugazzi
http://www.niterail.com

"Capitalize on your own strengths; develop your own style.
The world needs another harp player doing Little Walter licks
as much as it needs another Elvis impersonator."
-Paul deLay

"Rock to me doesn't exist - it's just a term that was
invented for guys who can't play."
-Kim Wilson