Re: [Harp-L] Respectfully Contextualizing Michalek's opinins on Trad. Harp Mus

Before reading further, I'd like to point out that I
have seen Chris play the blues with David Barrett.
They traded 12's at one of his seminars where Chris
was a special guest.  Not only did he play amazing
TRADITIONAL blues in the vein of various artists
mentioned here (like Little Walter and Sonny Boy), he
did it from several different harp positions!

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roger Boyce
> <roger.boyce@...>
> wrote:
>
> I¹m a long-time lurker on Harp L. I¹ve had some
> things to say in the past
> but have refrained due to my perception of an
> opinion pecking order on the
> list.
>
> Chris Michalek
> often has the last word, or the first provocative
> word ­ due to, it seems
> his credibility as organizer of a major
> international harmonica summit and
> his reputed skills on the harp. Kudos to him for
> organizing the
> summit, for
> learning OB¹s and his employment of
> guitar effects to shape his sound.
>
> Now to Chris (the arbiter of taste) Michalek¹s
> Buddah¹s Groove. I take the
> time to describe the tunes I¹ve heard from them so
> as to consider the
> source
> of opinion that refers to harp traditionalists like
> Estrin and Guyger (who
> do what they do very well and with integrity) as
> rehashers.

I believe the comment was toward their blues harp
playing being rehashed, and not that playing blues
makes one a "rehasher".  Much in the same way playing
harmonica in a nontraditional sense intstantly creates
originality.

>  Michalek¹s
> band solipsistically churns out
> acid-world-free-jazz-fusion-deepjungle-jams
> such as Liquid Doodles & Spontune, requiring or
> providing ( at best ) a
> musical score/groove for the imbibing of gnarly-bud
> or single malt.

Have you ever heard Chris's CD or seen him live?  Not
only does he play
acid-world-free-jazz-fusion-deepjungle-jams, but he
does with with much heart and emotion.  One's
technicaly ability is NOT a direct measure of the soul
they are able to put in their music.  Great technical
skill doesn't mean less emotional skill.  One doesn't
trade sould for the ability to play things other then
blues.

> Have no doubt, I do find it pleasant music but where
> is the meat ­
> particularly the heart organ meat?

Remember my comments above about Barrett's
Masterclass?    The 25 students in attendance enjoyed
Chris's blues playing so much that each and everyone
of them bought one of his cds at the next break.  What
was more impressive was that few even knew that what
he was playing was much harder to do then playing from
cross harp!

> Michalek can really play his instrument but to what
> end? What new or
> rehashed musical territory is he exploring, opening
> up, reinventing, or
> stretching the boundaries of, pray tell?

Are you being serious?  He, like Jason, is expanding
the use of the harmonica.  Doesn't playing he diatonic
in a chromatic fashion from nearly all twelve
positions, in at least a half dozen genres count as
anything???

 Ask
> yourselves, If what he
> plays on
> his harp were played on a keyboard would he command
> the same respected
> position among musicians in general he apparently
> holds among SPAH
> goers and
> Harp-Lers?

Probably not...neither would what any of the harp
players you mentioned play.  Jason probably would
sound weird on piano too.  The fact of the matter is
we're talking harmonica here.  Comparing different
insturments is pretty much beside the point.  However,
if I ran into a piano player who could only play
blues, and then another who could play a much wider
range of sounds and emotions, I think I'd choose the
latter.

Chris has played with amazing musicians and has won
each and everyone over with his playing.  Huey Lewis
included ;)

> My rant here may seem to be an ad hominem attack on
> Michalek.

My rant seems to be an attack on Wader, but it
isn't...I am just trying to point out that 1. Chris
really is that good, and 2.  There is more to
music...especially on the harmonica...then the blues.

> Much to the relief of everyone (including myself ) I
> will now go back to
> lurking.
> Cheers
> Wader

Ok, that's enough man love for Chris.  I consider him
to be one of my best friends, and say what you will
about him as a person, there aren't many harp
players...if any...that can play like he can.  He is
one of the few harp players who is really a musician
and able to creat organic solos straight from his
soul.

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica

http://www.myspace.com/mikefugazzi
http://www.niterail.com

"Capitalize on your own strengths; develop your own style.
The world needs another harp player doing Little Walter licks
as much as it needs another Elvis impersonator."
-Paul deLay