[Harp-L] Re: mickey raphael gear

John K wrote:
"...was wondering if anybody knows what Mickey Raphael usually plays through -- is he exclusively vocal mike to PA? Any other thoughts about amped for country? (maybe that's what the "alt"
means!)"

In an e-mail awhile back, Mickey wrote: "For my stage set up I use a beyer M-88 microphone, into an ART tube pre-amp, then it goes into an old Fender Champ amp. We take a direct line from the tube pre-amp to the house board and also mic the amp, so I get 2 signals. One clean, and one distorted."

I have seen Willie Nelson numerous times (never enough!) and had the great fortune a few years back to spend some time with Mickey on the bus and backstage hanging out and talking harp. I've never seen him play with anything other than that M-88 vocal mic handheld (i.e. never into a mic that's on a stand), though I have seen some old pics on the web where he's playing some different mics, including a JT-30 and (I think) a Shure 545. Fantastic player and a super guy!

MN