Fwd: [Harp-L] The best : kudos - and respect - to Brad Kava

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>
Date: September 5, 2006 1:50:21 PM EDT
To: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The best : kudos - and respect - to Brad Kava

On Sep 5, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

Brad Kava did a superb job of capturing and presenting to the reading
public the texture of Jason Ricci's working and artistic life.

I agree with the Wizard. I would rather have Brad do MY story than any of the so called investigative reporters. A Ginny Most would make it a joke, Christianne Amanpour would make it morbid, Paul Harvey would waltz around so much, the essence of the story would get lost. Anyone who doesn't like Brad's writing style is jealous. Brad is 'somebody' and he's doing SOMEthing. And a hell of a lot more than (some) of us I might add. (please note word..some).

He captured the angst. (and I know angst)

Many do consider Jason to be the best harp player out there. Brad was reporting a fact.

The word best means highest quality. It's like 'Pillsbury's Best'. And inasmuch as there are a LOT of bests out there, we now are faced with the prospect of picking the best OF the best. I almost fell off this crate when I read Larry's post on second best. All through my life, I have NEVER given first place or best to anyone. My reasoning was that I was still alive and someone else might come along and push MY best out of MY first place. So until the day I die, I had decided to never issue a position of more than 'Second' best or 'Second' place.

example: I meet a guy (or girl), whom I feel is the coolest person I have ever met. I can't possibly declare them THE coolest. What if someone cooler comes along? Would I start out the first ice skater I witnessed with a 3.9? Of course not. The next skater might garner a 4.o in my eyes. Then along comes someone who blows my socks off and NOW what do I do?

Ergo: I will make a statement like 'He's the second biggest goof- ball I have ever met' or 'She's the second most gorgeous creature I have ever seen', or junk like that.

Was it somehow wrong to do so? No. It helps create a contrast between
the brilliance of the man and his reputation on one hand, and the hard
life he's living on the other, with the constant touring and lack of
commercial success.

Yes, and the story was about Jason, not a lot of side distractions. We need more writing like this. Writers who stay ON topic. Weren't we just talking about this the other day? Writers who treat the harmonica as a ho-hum past time for old men in funny hats and a bunch of kids bleating out tunes like a flock of sheep?

When the words 'many people feel' were used, I submit that 'many people' is an OPEN number and the impact depends on the context of the subject matter.

Anyone who doesn't recognize the validity of this technique and the
essential truthfulness of using it needs to take a deep breath. Did
Brad help or hurt the harmonica community? He helped. Anyone who has
done more than Brad to help the community may have a right to offer
constructive criticism privately. Anyone who hasn't might show a little
respect to a friend.

Winslow

_