Re: [Harp-L] reading things into the best

In all the discussion of Jason on the list, I was
always amazed that nobody would say anything negative
about him.  This is one of the first times I've heard
somebody speak anything but affectionate about his
playing.

What surprise me and several other is that the
negatives come out of this really well written
article.  I give Brad the utmost respect for being
honest.  So many articles and press releases are just
recycled fluff, and this, like Jason's playing, gives
insight to who he really is and how important he is to
the harp community at large. Brad exactly captured who
Jason is and what his emotions towards music/life are.
 The article described Jason as he would describe
himself (although I'd doubt he'd say he's the world's
best).

Great work and thank you, Brad!  You are trying to
help Jason and many of us other harp players by
telling it like it is and not backing down from the
truth.  Regardless of our personal "best" opinions,
nobody can deny that what Jason is doing is absolutely
AMAZING!  He is exactly what every musician on any
insturment should strive to be...totally connect to
their insturment with an unmatched sense of history
and the ability communicate emotionally through an
individual voice to a mass audience.

Jason's playing may be "out there" compared to trad
harp, but the last time I saw him all he could go on
about was Little Walter and spending hours on end
tracking down lost tapes of his from Alligator.  He
has done what every hero of ours has done...take the
standard for the day, master it, and then blow it
away.

Bottomline, he should be a household name in AT LEAST
the blues world by now.  He is going to go down as the
SRV of harp.

And I am sure Brad said Jason was the best for this
very reason.  It causes a stir and all press is good
press if you know what I mean.

You want to talk about a BS harp statement...How about
David Hasseloff calling LD Miller the best harp player
out there???  How about all those people out there who
think Taylor Hicks is an amazing harp player?

It is amazing how people get talked about on the board
sometimes. I am sorry, but I am much more upset at
those offended by the article then I would be at Brad.
   While I personally would not have said world's
best, the comment is not worth getting worked up over.
 With all the crap that gets said about musicians and
how great they are, this statement isn't even mildly
offensive.  Let complain about top 40 radio and how
much the music sucks even though we're told it is
great.

How many of us have even streched our role/importance
in music?  That's half the deal right there.  If I
told everyone Chris Michalek sucked, some of you would
buy into that.  If I went on about how great he was
that could sway your opinion too.

Comments like that are good marketing especially when
trying to help a friend.

Mike

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica