[Harp-L] Re: music in other cultures/NotMuchHarpContent!

Jonathon Ross wrote: "Perhaps the best rule when ignorant of something
is to not say
anything. "....................Dear Jonathan, I'm speechless!
RD

Rick Dempster wrote:

>                  I was expecting a response something like your's.
> Yes,
> I am aware that 'old world' music moves on, and in some cases moves
as
> fast as does the change in the US. I would have to go to some
> length to
> support my original contention; that musical change happens faster
in
> the US than in other places, but I still think it is broadly true,
> and I
> would even argue that the trends emanating from the US influence,
> directly an indirectly, the rate and sometimes content of that
change.

I think you'd have to run logic circles to find any decent way of
making that case.  The rate of change in other cultures since the
20th century is dramatic, and the wealth of examples which completely

and utterly refute your claim is quite impressive: Brasil, Cuba,
Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, Mali, Senegal, all of India (we could pick
regions, but for the example this works), China, Japan, all of
Europe, Mexico...do I need to continue or can I stop with those I
know somewhat well before doing more research.  Look at what music
was being played in these places in the beginning of the 20th
century.  Then take a look every twenty years.  Compare that to the
US and I think you'll see a generally similar rate of change (each
will have a different specific rate, of course, but the overall rate
will be quite similar).

As to American influence--of course there has been great American
influence, but that is to be expected considering the dominant role
the US played in the last century, in political, social and
technological arenas.  That doesn't mean the US was changing faster,
just that other cultures had to deal with US culture more than US
culture had to deal with say African cultures.  Still, we do see
significant  cross-pollination into the US from several cultures
(Brasil, Cuba, Jamaica, to name three off the top of my head).  But,
in terms of the changes mostly they are internally driven, and driven

by the same forces as in the US: the massive explosion of media and
transportation technology.  Never underestimate the importance of
radio and records to musical change in the 20th century--and
throughout the 20th century.

>                  I think the Dixieland example is different to say,
an
> oud player in southeast Turkestan (sorry;being satirical here to
cover
> my general ignorance)

Perhaps the best rule when ignorant of something is to not say
anything.  The oud is not an instrument commonly found in the Central

Asian areas which are usually referred to as Turkestan.  They tend to

prefer long-necked lutes for plucked strings, similar to neighbors in

Iran and Afghanistan.

> I believe nostalgia to be more of a phenomenon of
> developed western countries. You might find someone in a village
> culture
> playing with an awareness to keep alive a tradition, but it could be
> argued that that is a different thing to somebody in LA playing
Cigago
> Blues, or Chicago jazz for that matter.

I'd love to know why you believe this to be the case.  There is
plenty of what might be termed nostalgia in films from most countries

that have anything to do with the past.  China is not Western, but
many Chinese movies show nostalgia--same for India and Iran.  None of

these three is really "developed" either.  And this nostalgia goes
back for decades.

Besides, there is a distinct difference between nostalgia and
attempts to keep traditions alive.  Many dixieland players might be
nostalgic, but other groups are anything but.  The same is true in
most cultures: there are those who like older styles for nostalgia
purposes, and those who want to keep them alive from a tradition
standpoint.

  ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'